2009 AKC/Eukanuba Nat’l Championship To Offer Massive Dog Mall, First-Ever Dog Sensory Exhibit, Displays of Canine Talents & More At Family-Fun Event
They come from all over the world. They possess flawless beauty and are graced with superior athleticism and agility. Their talents are unparalleled and their obedience to their masters is unflinching. With cameras from television’s Animal Planet glaring, the 2009 AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, to be held at the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center in Long Beach, Calif. Dec 12 & 13, will feature 3,000 of the finest pure bred dogs from all over the world competing for $225,000 in prizes. More than 25,000 people are expected to watch the competition as one top dog earns the title of Best In Show. In addition, attendees are invited to forget the Yellow Brick Road and, instead, follow the Pink Paw Path through the 400,000-square-foot facility entirely devoted to man’s best friend to find:
- DOG SENSORY EXHITBIT – For the first time you will be able to see, smell and hear exactly like a dog at this multi-sensory exhibit;
- MASSIVE DOG MALL – More than 100 products including Swarovski crystal embellished collars, leads and apparel (for dogs and humans); fine designer jewelry (for pets and humans); dog art and collectables; eco-friendly pet collars and accessories; bronze portrait sculptures; handmade dog clothing; and doggie treadmills will be among the items available for purchase at the world’s largest specially constructed “dog mall”;
- MEET THE BREEDS – You will be able to interact with almost 150 different pure breeds and learn about their personalities and temperaments, responsible dog ownership and which breeds best suit your lifestyle;
- LUXURY POOCH PALACE EXHIBIT – 10 luxury pooch palaces – each designed by a different local nonprofit organization – will be displayed;
- SUPER DOG COMPETITION – Watch Labradors, Collies and other breeds sail through the air into an indoor pool to see which one goes the farthest in this impressive competition;
- POLICE DOG DEMO – They track the scent of criminals, detect carefully hidden illicit drugs and assist in the apprehension of suspects and now these public servants will show off their skills;
- INTERACTIVE EXHIBITS – Test your knowledge of the world of dogs by participating in a game show competition much like the popular television hit, “Jeopardy;”
- CELEBRITY APPEARANCE – World-famous Olympic gold medalist Shawn Johnson, an avid dog-lover, will be on hand to greet the public, answer questions about dog ownership, sign autographs and take photos.
The highlight of the two-day event will be over 5,000 of the world’s finest canines going head to head in various competitions all in pursuit of the Best In Show championship. Dogs and their handlers will participate in a range of events including the AKC Agility Invitational, AKC National Obedience Invitational and the breed competitions that will lead to the crowning of the champ. The event is also host to the Eukanuba World Challenge featuring top dogs from more than 40 countries including some rare breeds such as Briquet Griffon Vendeens and Xoloitzcuintls as well as more familiar ones like Labrodor Retrievers and Dachshunds.
Tickets to daytime events are $20 for adults, $15 ages 13-18, and under 12 free. Tickets to the televised evening competitions on Saturday and Sunday are $15 for adults and $12 for those under 18. Specially priced tickets for seniors also are available.
For more information or tickets visit www.akc.org. Tickets also are available at the door or through Ticketmaster.