- My life is likely to last 10-15 years, any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me, don’t be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.
- Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalienable right.
- Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment, I am not capable of understanding why? I only know I have been rejected, you have your work entertainment and friends I only have you.
- Talk to me sometimes, even if I don’t understand your words I understand your voice and your tone, “you only have to look at my tail”.
- Be aware that however you treat me I’ll never forget it, and if it’s cruel it may affect me forever.
- Please don’t hit me I can’t hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don’t ever want to do that.
- Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right foods or I’ve been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak, I may be just dog tired.
- Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.
- Go with me on difficult journeys, never say, “I can’t bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence”. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, irrespective of what you do I will always love you.
This article was written by ©Stan (The Original Doglistener). A professional full time Dog Behaviourist and Obedience Trainer.
You can visit his website at www.doglistener.co.uk for more articles and training information.