Pet owners can be found in the suburbs, country and the city. Each location has its pro’s and con’s. We all adapt to the area we live and learn how to live happy with our pet. Being a country girl I fully understand the challenges that come with my dogs running free in the pastures. Sometimes they return with a faint smell of something odd and not too pleasant. A quick bath will cure the odor and all is back to normal. Raising a canine in the city is another story of one I am not familiar. Wherever you live we all share the same dilemma of not knowing where our beloved companion will be welcome.
There is a new app out there that sounds as though it is great. We are unable to test drive the app since at the moment it is for the LA area. We don’t usually write about things that are so limited to a specific area, and here’s the big but, the app is a must have for LA pet owners! We are hopeful in getting the word out so they can hurry and expand to other areas.
Co-founders Gareth Wilson and Jonathan Kolker have been friends since the 1st grade and are the app creators. They are both huge dog lovers and they wanted to create something that would improve the lives of dog owners. Eddie is the official mascot and was the inspiration to create the app. The app is rapidly growing in popularity in the LA area which is a good sign for the rest of use.
The free Where My Dogs At app lets you find the best restaurants, cafes, parks, pet stores, vets, hotels, and apartment buildings in town. As you discover new dog places, you can connect with new dog people. Where My Dogs At uses your device’s location-based services (LBS) to show dog owners around you in real-time. Start chatting and meet up later for a doggy play date. Basically it’s a fun and social way to find great places to take your dog.
Here are some of the great features:
- Dog friendly locations in your area – data for West Hollywood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz, Venice Beach and Santa Monica, CA.
- Add tips and “paw ratings” to your favorite spots.
- Create a profile for you and sub-profiles for your dogs.
- Share photos and write captions.
- See users nearby within a radius of 2, 3, 5 or 10 miles.
- Privacy settings that let you control how you share your information.
- Send a message or a quick greeting such as a “wag,” “what up dog” or “arf!”
- Follow and be followed by fellow dog owners – become the most popular pup around.
- View a newsfeed of your followers’ activity.
Their mission is simple: to improve the lives of dogs and their owners everywhere.
If you’re not in LA, don’t worry – they have plans on expanding the service to other cities. I am sure they will start with the larger cities like New York, Chicago etc. but hopefully the success will reach to smaller cities as well. We really think this is a great idea and a very useful app for pet lovers!