It’s all too easy to take our dogs for granted, dismissing their feelings during our day-to-day hectic lives. For all they give to us we need to avoid letting our busy schedules and sometimes complicated lifestyles get in the way of showering them with tender love and affection. It doesn’t take a whole lot of time or effort to provide them with the TLC they deserve.
Make your dog smile by meeting their most basic needs:
- Make your home their home. Give them a special place they can call all their own.
- Set aside a little time each day to play with your dog. It eases stress and relieves tension – for BOTH of you.
- Provide access to fresh water around the clock. For inside dogs, that’s easy enough. For outside dogs, consider a continuous water bowl or something like this doggie fountain. Just remember that when an outside water source is connected through a hose, the incoming water can become hot in the summer if you’re not careful to ensure the line is in the shade or buried. And remember that an automated water source still needs to be cleaned regularly.
- Feed your dog the best dog food you can find. Not all dog foods are created equal and you’ll want to find the right dog food that suits your furry friend. Make sure it’s well balanced, has nutrients, and suits your dog’s tastes. On special occasions give them a human treat, a dog biscuit, a bone, or a homemade dog treat.
- Take your playmate to the vet for regular visits. It’s important you’re up to date on shots and aware of any issues about your dog’s health.
- Exercise together! Go for a walk and stop to smell the roses. The great thing is that you’ve got a ready and willing companion who will never say no to a jaunt outside and the physical activity is great for BOTH of you.
In return for providing these simple necessities for your dog, you’ll receive countless benefits that are worth their weight in gold!
From day one you’ll create an emotional bond that will never be broken. Bonding with your dog is a one on one relationship, the more attention, love and respect that you give him the more he will trust, love, and be committed to you. Dogs have a unique ability to act much like humans but they don’t tote all the baggage humans are saddled with. Their lives, and their emotions, are fairly black and white. When was the last time your spouse, mom, dad, sibling or roommate was waiting at the door when you returned with the same level of excitement that your dog greets you with at the door?!
They have the ability to sense and understand fear, sadness, happiness, anxiety, and anger. If you’re lonely, worried, depressed, suffering grief or just plain sad there’s no greater comfort than your dog. Freely they shower you with companionship, comfort, loyalty and unlimited love and affection. Your dog will listen to you endlessly and never complain. They are nonjudgmental listeners. It’s like like having your own live-in therapist!
Nursing homes, hospitals and healthcare facilities everywhere encourage visits by dogs as a way of boosting the spirits of residents and patients. Pet therapy is amazing for the soul. It is undeniably incredible the joy our pets give us for just fulfilling their few basic needs.
What a small price to pay for someone to depend on that is there 24/7 and loves to please. Unconditional love is a great reward.